Mga napulot ko sa aking pagala-gala... (Picked up from my wandering about...)

Saturday, May 24, 2008

This Morning


Saturday May 24, 2008
11:30am

Seven random things...

1. My skin is peeling off my thumb, index finger and forefinger of my left hand. I don't know why. I think it's because I bought some electric tape to fix my broken broom handle but once I took out the tape's plastic wrapper, it was all sticky and gooey from the glue that had melted. I didn't want to waste the 200CFA I'd spent on it so I still proceeded to tape my broom handle. But now I'm left with a crooked and sticky broom handle and peeling fingers. Now it stings badly whenever I try to chop lots and lots of garlic

2. I spilled some of the shrimp paste I'd brought with me. It got all over my hands and wallet. My hand still smell of shrimp paste even though I've washed them twice and I'm hoping my wallet eventually loses its smell. It's not a very pleasing aroma but I can't help but dream of mouth-watering green mangoes only slightly ripe, to go with the shrimp paste.

3. A little boy was playing outside the door to my hut this morning. I was lying with my back flat on the floor reading and I heard someone at the door so I got up and opened it thinking it was one of the nuns or someone coming to clean the hut but all I saw was the back of this little boy clutching what looked like a Fisher-Price toy, running away. I don't really know why.

4. I ran into my ex-sort-of-stalker again today. That's because he teaches in the school right next to where I live. I was totally freaked out the first time we met but now, since I had some help figuring out a way to solve the problem in a way that was culturally acceptable, I'm no longer scared and we say Hi to each other every now and then.

5. I've learned a good way to avoid getting offered rides (cars, trucks, bicycles, motorcycles) is to just walk on the side of the road that goes against the flow of traffic.

6. I wonder how safe it is to go out at night with my camera and tripod for some night shots. I'd really like to try it some time. I'll ask around if this is a completely bad idea or if I can convince someone to come with me.

7. Last night as I was walking home from work, I saw a woman balancing what looked like a pretty heavy bunch of firewood on her head. This probably won't be surprising to others but I was pretty amazed. I think what the women here are able to accomplish are downright incredible. But society is still pretty sexist and it's just taken for granted that women do most, if not all, of the work. I would've wanted to take a photo but unfortunately didn't have my camera with me.


No comments: