Mga napulot ko sa aking pagala-gala... (Picked up from my wandering about...)

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Tourist Spots: Ile de Karabane


I'm so glad that instead of heading straight to the Gambia after 2 days in Cap Skirring, I decided to go to Ile de Karabane. To get there we took a taxi from town into Oussouye then a Ndiaga Ndiaye (bigger minibus-like taxi) over the dirt roads to Elinkine, a fishing village. From Elinkine, we took a pirogue(local fishing boat like the one in the photo) ride to the island. It's got historical buildings as it used to be a trading station for the French (the first in the region) and it's supposedly where the Casamance River meets the ocean. It would have been much nicer to go exploring if it weren't raining so much. The boat ride back was pretty crowded and when it started to rain they raised this huge waterproof sheet above our heads but it smelled strongly of fish and I get sea-sick easily so it was not good!

But there are so many things this little island has to offer: history, culture, wildlife. I'm a lot happier with my photos from here this time around so I'll post them one at a time.

No comments: